Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It's Starting To Hurt More

As I've talked with more and more parents I feel like I've been let in on a big secret: not everyone is gaga for their newborn child/children.  More and more I hear things like...

- I was panicked when I was left alone with my baby.
- What did I get myself into?
- I didn't really like her all that much at first.

For me, although I think the screaming, non-sleeping, spitting up on daddy four times a day, poop machines are adorable (especially now that they've learned how to smile), I can't wait to be able to take them to their first play or go to the playground or bake a cake and then experiment with food coloring as we frost it. 

However, I'm noticing there are more and more times that I am away from them that my heart hurts.  I keep dreaming about how I can work less so I can be at home with them more.  True, by 4:00 pm I count the minutes until Derek comes home and I can leave the house for a walk unburdened by 17 pounds of diapers, bottles, formula, blankets, pacifiers, toys, and wipes as well as a stroller the size of Rhode Island, but after going out I want to go back home and see if Aaron is excited by crinking paper again or if Jeff calms down listening to a strange but fascinating version of "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes" sung by a woman with a sexy Russian accent. 

Problem is, as I love them more and more I think the hurt will just get worse.  Still, it's totally worth it.  Guess I really am a fan of the newborn stage.

1 comment:

  1. Kids have a way of suckering us in like that! :)

    That sexy russian voice...yeah, I know that voice! Pretty sure she sang to my girls back in the day too! lol

    ReplyDelete