Friday, August 15, 2014

My Big News

I have so much to say and so little memory to remember what I want to say.  Life with twin boys is definitely hectic and chaotic and exhausting.  It doesn't really get easier.  The boys just get heavier to pick up and the whines becomes louder.  The fights over who gets the napkin in my left hand (because the one in my right hand clearly is inferior?!?!?!?) or who closes the door (because you know once a door closes it can NEVER be opened again so the other child can close it) are frequent.and aggravating.  I heard from a friend that the tantrums of a three year old are less frequent but more intense.  I'm looking forward to that since there are tantrums every few minutes these days.  In another year I may long for the more frequent, usually done in 5 minute tantrums.  We'll see.

Once in a while, though, we get a few, fun moments of playing together.  The boys are becoming creative.  Aaron loves coins and put one in his ear to say it was his hearing aid.  (Yes, only the child of a sign language interpreter and an audiologist would play that game at the age of two.)  Just a few days ago Jeff decided he wanted to put a diaper on his monkey stuffed animal.  I love the creativity that is starting and I know it will just get better and better.  We even made up a story with each one of us contributing a sentence or two.  It had something to do with a penguin getting stuck on a slide.  Then a lion appeared.  I think they were friends.  I'm pretty sure the lion did not eat the penguin.  Next thing I know the penguin went to work to "bring home the bacon" (a phrase they love) and would "be right back" (another favorite phrase).  I believe, in the end, the penguin was still stuck on the slide...I'm not sure.  I don't think I'll submit that story to a publishing company, but I'm hoping for more stories like that soon.

The big news is that we are heading to Boston.  After many, many years in Chicago I am finally leaving.  Derek got a big position at a hospital in Boston and I am happy to be moving closer to my family.  I'm sad about leaving my amazing job as well as my friends, family, interpreting community, irreplaceable babysitter,  and my surrogate.  I had hoped that my boys would grow up knowing their surrogate.  She is part of their identity and she has become a friend.  Thank goodness for Facebook, right?  We never really lose touch with people these days since we can always connect on the internet.

The boys are young enough that the move doesn't mean they will be leaving friends but they are leaving behind what they know.  There are some of my friends who visit often and the boys definitely know those people by name.  The recent playdates have given them some "friends" who they talk about from time to time.  Morgan, Logan and Aubrey will be missed for sure.  The boys keep talking about moving to Boston.  Their trains go to Boston.  The cars we see on the street are going to Boston.  They say grandma and grandpa live in Boston -- totally not true, but who am I to correct them when they seem excited about Boston.  We talk about boxing up their toys and clothes and taking them to Boston.  We tell them that the new place has stairs in our apartment and an elevator which are two very exciting things when you are two years old.  I'm hoping the move goes well.  We will be staying with my parents in New York while waiting for our stuff to arrive in Boston.  I'm sure the next few weeks will be hard on everyone.  The boys will be in new places, new beds, new cities and seeing new people.  I'll have to remind myself things will be scary for them for a while.  Maybe they will surprise me and take it better than expected.  I'll will be home with them full-time which should ease the transition for them.  I do hope to work a little bit if we can figure out daycare.  I'm not sure I'm cut out for being a full time stay at home dad.  Luckily the grandparents are just a few hours away when I need

I'm sure there are a million other things I'm forgetting to say.  Blogging doesn't seem to happen very often these days.  I might get one or two more quick posts before moving, but chances are my next post will be written about 1,000 miles from here.  Wish me luck.  And if you know any families with kids in Boston let me know.  I'll be looking for playdates soon!

3 comments:

  1. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL! I'm only 3hrs from you now, I hope we can get together some day for a playdate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting! Good luck!

    P.S. I'm happy to see an update from you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the move. Boston is lovely. Also, it's so great being a bit closer to family and seeing them more often.

    ReplyDelete