Thursday, September 10, 2015

School!

Today was the day.  I was ready for it.  I was excited.  I wasn't going to cry.  My kids were starting their first day of public school with an awesome team of teachers.

Derek and I drove the boys to school.  Derek had to hurry off to a meeting so I walked the boys in by myself. The boys were excited to show me where their class was.  They remembered the hallway from yesterday but missed the room.  Pretty impressive for a 3 1/2 year old in my opinion.

When we got in, the teacher showed them their pictures on their cubby holes attached with velcro.  Each one had to take his picture off and put it on a cut out of a school bus with his name.  The school buses were located on the other side of the room.  The boys’ eyes lit up when they saw this task.  They found their names on the paper school buses and looked excited to check in at school.

That’s when I lost it.  I really think they were tears of joy, not sorrow.  I am excited to watch them grow and learn and gain independence.  I am excited for what school will teach them.  I am excited to see how they develop.

Next, they checked in with Stephanie who would let them pick one of several activities for the morning.  As I was leaving I saw Aaron picked the water table.  He had seen it yesterday without water in it and was looking forward to playing with it.  It was a small table filled with toys and water and bubbles.  Stephanie had helped him put on a smock and as I left I saw him walking towards the table.  I waved goodbye and there were no tears from him or Jeff, just a big smile as Aaron tackled this new adventure.

While the boys were in school I cleaned the house a little, watched some TV, called a doctor, got a haircut to prepare for the wedding and took my first Uber ride.

When I picked them up from school I was tackled with big hugs.  I found out Jeff had picked the kitchen first.  He told me he cooked eggs and pizza and played with the water table later in the day.   They played outside, read "The Kissing Hand" and made some art projects which will be ready tomorrow.  I can't wait to see what they made.  The teacher said there were no tears from any of the kids. 

I think we all had a very good first day.





No comments:

Post a Comment