Monday, March 19, 2018

The Letter

At my kids' school each child takes a turn at being the "Star of the Week."  It is a way for each child to share a little about his or her family, interests, special skills, etc.  The kids make a poster with their favorite things, do a show and tell, and a family member can come in to read a book.  Also, the parents write a letter to explain why their child is a shining star.

I have to admit that when I first heard I had to write this letter I wasn't looking forward to it.  I thought it was a pretty silly and cheesy idea.  I didn't want to have to gush over my children in a cloying way.

Derek and I wrote the letters together and it turned out to be a really nice experience.  Writing them made me really see what the strengths are in each of my kids.  While it's very easy for me to get overwhelmed and aggravated at the day to day stresses of raising kids and the monotony of making lunches, driving them to school and picking them up on the never ending drive line, I realized I sometimes overlook all the good that has happened in the last six years.  My kids have turned into people who excel at music and math.  They are compassionate and good at sharing.  They play and joke and stand up for themselves.  They are separating from each other to explore their interests in Legos, acting, French, cooking, music, and science.  I feel like it was good to take a moment to reflect on who my kids have become and where they are going.

So while I'm still a little scared at some of the future school projects that will come home (I'm looking at you, physics class), hopefully some more of these school projects will wind up being a positive experience that bonds our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment