Thursday, February 14, 2013

It's A Wonderful Life, Derek

I've never seen the movie "It's A Wonderful Life."  (Note to self - put it on my Netflix queue.)  I saw a stage version of it about 18-ish years ago but I don't really remember it.  However, since I have lived in America for 30-something years and it's on TV constantly for about one month each year I think I know the basic plot.  It's about a man who thinks life would be better if he had never been born.  After seeing what the world would be like without him, he realizes what an impact he has made in the world.

Sometimes I think about what my life would be like had Derek not entered my world.  Recently I had that thought again.  I had one of those days when the kids were tough and by the time Derek got home all I wanted to do was get away from the crying for a few minutes.  It made me think about all the stuff that Derek does/has done.  People all have their strengths and weaknesses and I'm not saying I couldn't do these things, I'm just saying without Derek I'm not quite sure how these things would get done...

- put together two cribs and knows lower the mattresses as the kids get bigger
- bought and hung the Johnny Jumper
- made a decision about which stroller to buy when there are waaaay too many option
- feeds the kids meat (I'm vegetarian but never planned on raising the kids that way unless they choose it)
- wakes up at 5:30 a.m. to give them their first bottle so I can sleep in
- folds the laundry because I am the worst folder on earth
- goes to music class because there is no way I could do music class with twins on my own
- bathes the kids together (bathing them at the same time really does require two people)
- earns a decent income so I can stay home with the kids a few days a week and have the experience of being a dad I had hoped to have

For all these reasons (and more) I'm so happy to have you in my life.  Happy Valentine's Day to my knight in shining armor from your sons and me who are lucky to have you.

Moments after the proposal in Cozumel





5 comments:

  1. Aw that was sweet! Now I have to write a post like that for S!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! I bet Derek thinks the same things about you :) enjoy your day guys! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this picture so much. You guys are so obviously so much in love that the only thing you can see in this shot is the love between two people. This shot should go on every equal rites poster in the nation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joel, that is one of the nicest comments I have ever seen. Thank you for that. This comment made my day.

      Delete
  4. Such a sweet post. The picture is great - it clearly shows how much you love one another.

    ReplyDelete