Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Cindy the Librarian

"You look tired," Cindy said to me.

"Yeah," I replied secretly impressed with how well she knew me.

My boys and I met Cindy almost two years ago.  She does a sing-along/story time for kids at the library near our home.  She runs her story time well and my boys started sitting through her performance after just a couple weeks even though they were only two and a half years old.  She started to know us because we showed up to the library quite often.

I don't remember when but shortly after we moved to Massachusetts my parents came for a visit.  I'm guessing it was around Halloween because I remember they were visiting so they could watch the kids trick-or-treat.  I took some work (or maybe I just ran away from home for the day) and my parents took the kids to the library.  My mom, who will talk to just about anyone these days, started talking with Cindy and immediately they were like old friends.

The next time I came into the library Cindy made a big point of learning my name, Jeff and Aaron's names and even Derek's name.  I remember she wrote it on a piece of paper and knew our names from then on.  Every time we went to the library she greeted us with a personal touch. 

Over the last two years the kids have grown to love her.  When we walk into the library they look for her.  They tell her stories about their lives.  They ask her questions.  She always gives them her full attention and respect.  Who knew a librarian would be such a big part of our lives?

So yesterday, when I talked with Cindy, she saw I looked tired.  She could tell something was different.  I told her what was bothering me and she validated everything I was feeling.  She told me about her experience as a mother (her children are now grown) and empathized with how hard parenthood can be.  She told me that she is like Lucy and she always has a sign saying "The doctor is in."  The wonderful thing is that she means it.  She made me feel so much better about myself and my feelings.  If she accepts my insurance maybe I should start seeing her once a week.  Although Lucy only charges five cents so I could probably afford that even if she's out of my network. 



No comments:

Post a Comment