Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Parents' Generation

In my other blog I wrote about how the grandmothers got together one day and vigorously defended and supported their gay sons which just made my heart swell.  But they're our mothers.  They kinda have to love us.  I think that's in the rule book.  (By the way...I never got my parenting rule book.  Maybe it's lost in the mail.  I hope it gets here soon.  I need one.)

After Derek and I had these two adorable babies let me tell you about the presents that started pouring in.  A bunch of my cousins from my parents generation started sending gifts to our twins.  I grew up knowing a lot of them but have lost touch with most of them.  It was nice that they took the time to buy and send gifts.  Then we started getting gifts from my parents' friends.  I literally haven't met half of them or more.  The women who play mah jongg with my mom and the people with whom she volunteers sent us gifts.  And we're not talking one or two of them.  I'd say about a dozen of fifteen of her friends sent us clothes, books, gift certificates, handmade room decorations and more.  The notes we got were just lovely.  Most were addressed to both Derek and me and they couldn't be happier that we had a family.

I keep hearing statistics like a majority of people under 30 support the right for gays to get married, adopt children, and have every right that heterosexuals have.  Well, the over 30 crowd isn't doing too badly either championing my rights.  Apparently the over 60 crowd is pulling their weight too.  Granted, my parents live in New York City which is known for being very liberal, but it's still gives me warm fuzzies knowing that people in their 60s and 70s -- many of whom I've never even met -- hear about their friend's son and his partner having a baby and send something to celebrate the occasion.  Equal rights will be here one day.  I know it.  Hopefully it will happen before my children are old enough to know that they were born in a time when there weren't equal rights.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post -- very affirming parents -- you guys must be indicative that the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful. I love hearing/reading affirmations that this world has caring and loving people. Equal rights will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome to know that there are people of all ages who realize how important equality is.

    ReplyDelete